Arizona’s Only Pediatric Gynecology Clinic Opens June 11th at Phoenix Children's Hospital
Phoenix Children's Hospital announced today it is now offering pediatric gynecology services with its new Gynecology Program, the first of its kind in the southwest region. The Gynecology Program at Phoenix Children's provides females from birth to age 18 with the highest quality medical care ranging from surgical procedures to routine exams and testing. Staffed by a pediatric multidisciplinary team of experts that includes physicians, nurses and social workers, the program focuses on the consultation, examination, diagnosis, and treatment of female reproductive health issues as well as reproductive anomalies in children and adolescents.
Amy Williamson, MD, is the new Surgical Staff Section Chief of the Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology Department at Phoenix Children’s Hospital. Williamson is a highly-specialized pediatric gynecologist and the forerunner in creating the new Gynecology Clinic. As one of only a few Arizona gynecologists focusing in pediatrics, Williamson is acutely aware of the need to provide gynecological care in a non-threatening environment, staffed by doctors and nurses who are 100 percent for children.
“Typically, patients try to find pediatric gynecology care through adult care,” Williamson said. “Taking a child or young teen to a ‘Women’s Clinic’ can produce a great deal of anxiety in patients and parents. Providing gynecology care in a pediatric environment helps our families breathe a little easier.”
- Heavy, frequent, or painful menstrual periods
- Irregular or infrequent menstrual periods
- Signs of early or delayed sexual maturation
- Breast abnormalities, asymmetry or pain
- Abdominal pain
- Ovarian cysts or pelvic masses
- Abdominal pain, pelvic endometriosis
- Birth defects involving the reproductive organs
- Injuries involving the reproductive organs
- Menses control for developmentally and physically disabled young women
Programs, Services and Procedures:
- Exam under anesthesia (outpatient)
- Laparoscopy for the evaluation of abdominal masses, pelvic pain and pelvic endometriosis
- Laser surgery
- Vaginoscopy for the removal of foreign objects and assessment of bleeding and injuries
- Colposcopy for the evaluation of abnormal bleeding and abnormal pap smears
- Consultations and re-constructive surgery for birth defects involving the reproductive organs
- Treatment of sexually transmitted diseases
- Reproductive anomalies
The clinic opens on June 11 and provides a broad spectrum of pediatric gynecology services weekly in the Rosenberg Children’s Medical Plaza at the main campus of Phoenix Children's Hospital, 1920 E. Cambridge Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85006. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (602) 933-2728 or visit their website. The clinic fax number is 602-933-4065.
About Phoenix Children’s Hospital
Phoenix Children’s Hospital, ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s Best Children’s Hospitals, is Arizona’s only licensed children’s hospital, providing world-class inpatient, outpatient, trauma, emergency and urgent care to children and families in Arizona and throughout the Southwest. As one of the largest children’s hospitals in the country with 465 licensed beds, Phoenix Children’s provides care across nearly 50 pediatric specialties. The hospital is poised for continued growth in quality patient care, research and medical education. For more information about the hospital, visit www.phoenixchildrens.com.