Child Life Internship
The Child Life Department at Phoenix Children's hospital offers a rigorous 15 week internship aligned with the recommendations of the Child Life Council that is designed to prepare interns for a career as a child life specialist. The internship consists of three four-week rotations with possible placement in Intensive Care Units, Hematology/Oncology, Emergency department/Trauma, Radiology, Surgery, general pediatric units and outpatient clinics.
Through hands on clinical experiences under the supervision of experienced Certified Child Life Specialists, students will build critical thinking and clinical skills. Ongoing education, reflective activities and intern projects are designed to prepare interns to sit for the Child Life certification exam. Phoenix Children's Hospital offers Child Life internships for fall and spring semesters.
Internship Applicant Requirements:
- A Bachelors or Master’s degree in Child Life, child development, human development and family studies, psychology, or a closely related field (completion degree or in last semester of classes)
- Completion of a minimum of 10 classes in child development, psychology, Child Life, or related field (Please refer to CLC guidelines for more detailed coursework information)
- One class taught by a Certified Child Life Specialist
- Minimum grade point average of a 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- Experience working with children (at least one of the following):
- Completion of minimum of 150 volunteer hours working with children in the hospital OR
- Completion of a Child Life Practicum
- Completed and signed Common Child Life Internship Application
- Cover letter and Resume/CV
- Official CLC coursework review
- Official College/University transcripts
- 2 letters of recommendation (*include with application; at least one from someone who has observed your work with children)
Complete applications can be mailed to:
Child Life Department
Phoenix Children's Hospital
1919 East Thomas Road
Phoenix AZ 85016
Please direct your questions to CLinternship@phoenixchildrens.com or call 602-933-1725.
* For more detailed information about the internship deadlines,
please visit the CLC website.